Playing golf: its benefits for both physical and mental health
Numerous studies have proven that playing golf regularly results in physical and mental health benefits for all players, regardless of their age or gender. However, the fitness benefits increase with the golfer's age.
One study in particular carried out in Sweden in 2008 compared the life expectancy of 300,000 golfers of all ages, sexes and various socio-economic backgrounds with the rest of the population (in equivalent proportions). Its result showed that, among regular golfers, their life expectancy was increased by 5 years.
Here are some of the benefits of regular golfing in more detail.
Playing golf: the benefits on your physical health
The benefits on physical condition are numerous:
- Maintain muscle strength in the lower and upper limbs and abdominals.
- Improved balance and control of movements: A golf swing uses 17 muscle groups in the shoulders, back, hips, abs and thighs, among others. This movement requires balance, strength, focus and coordination.
- Reduced risk of cardiovascular disease by walking: A person who walks during their entire game on an 18-hole golf course, will travel between 6 and 12 km, burning approximately 375 calories per hour. This exercise is great for oxygenating the body and controlling weight.
- A low risk of injury, considering a suitable warm-up is performed before each game.
- Promotes healthy lung function in older adults.
Playing golf: the benefits on your psychological health
The benefits regarding mental condition can vary from person to person:
Stress reduction: Practiced in a calm, pleasant and green space outdoors, golf allows you to take a break from the tensions of daily professional or family life and to take a short break to live the present moment in peace.
Improvement of cognitive functions by slowing down neurological aging while you concentrate, visualize the game and keep calm. Indeed, during a game of golf, the neurons of your brain are constantly called upon, because you must analyze certain elements to correctly perform your shots such as the right club to choose, the distance the ball must travel, the speed and the direction of the wind, the various holes, etc.
Improved self-esteem and self-confidence.
Reduced anxiety, the possibility of depression and dementia.
It helps us socialize. Indeed, during a game, golfers have many opportunities to talk together, whether with friends or with new people. It allows you to meet many individuals and encourage socialization.
At Summerlea, we offer you an engaging golf experience for players of all skill levels with two exceptional 18-hole courses from which you can enjoy incredible scenery. Have fun playing golf and thus increase your physical and mental condition.
Don’t hesitate to contact us for more information.